Awards season is always bang on the trends, and if you’re like me and love the pre-ceremony show you’ll have noticed that almost every second lady that walks the red carpet is wearing this timeless beauty trend of smokey eyes and nude lips. It’s safe to say that this look is still BIG on the scene right now and what’s more, it’s one of the easiest to replicate on yourself or a client (hello to all my makeup artist readers!). I’ve researched with makeup artists including award-winning Emma Farrell of EF Creative Studios and renowned Jen of Too Dolly Makeup, beauty experts I know and scoured the top magazines for the best products, as well as my personal favourites, from both luxury & affordable brands across the board to help you create the perfect day & night-time look!
When it comes to smokey eyes, there is a great variety of styles. From the subtle to the shimmering smokey eye to the classic dark look and the full on glittering style, there are many wonderful looks we’ve seen over time, and do every awards season on the red carpet. Although colourful smokey eyes are also popular, this post is all about the monochromatic creation that works best and beautifully with the nude lips finish. There are also many different methods of creating a perfect smokey eye look, but here’s my favourite fool-proof method, and below check out two easy-to-follow tutorials by Yves Saint Laurent Beauté.
- Use an eyeshadow primer if you have one.
- Start by applying a kohl or kajal eye pencil on top of your lash lines, and all over the eyelid.
- Blend out well using an eye makeup brush.
- If using a smokey eyeshadow palette, apply the lighter shade in the inner & middle, and the darker shades on the outer corners.
- Apply a light shade along the lower lash line.
- Buff out the eyeshadow to blend any harsh lines.
- Use a black eye pencil along the waterlines.
- Apply lashings of mascara and finish with a setting spray.
- Naked Smoky eyeshadow palette – €47
- Vice 4 eyeshadow palette – from €58.79 (find on Ebay.ie)
- Gwen Stefani eyeshadow palette – from €58.36 (find on Ebay.ie)
- Subversion Primer – €19
- Perversion Mascara – €22
Yves Saint Laurent
- Couture Kajal, in #1 Noir Ardent – €32.50
- Luxurious Shocking Mascara, in #1 Pure Black – €32.50
- Couture Vinyl Mascara, in #1 Black & #8 Dark Sparkle – €40.40 (find on Ebay.ie)
- Dessin Du Regard eye pencil, in #1 Noir – €25
- Eye Colour Quad Palette, in Ice Queen & Titanium Smoke – €72
- Pro Longwear Paint Pot, in Blackground & Constructivist – €22
- Eyeshadow – €17
- Pro Longwear Eye Liner, in Black Ice, Night Trail & Strong Willed – €21
- Dual Intensity Eyeshadow, in Sycorax, Lysithea & Kari – €27
- GOSH Cosmetics: Kohl Eye Pencil – €7.99
- Blank Canvas Cosmetics: Master Series Palette One – €34.95
- Push Cosmetics: Eyeshadow in Blackest Black; Black Caviar eye pencil (sold out online)
- Inglot: AMC Eyeliner Gel in 77 – €15; Love Palette – €75
- Smashbox: On The Rocks Palette (28 Eyeshadows) – €37.70
When creating a nude lip finish, there are a good few tips & tricks for a long-lasting look that’s very easy to follow. Nude lips are complimentary on all skin tones, so whether you’re after the matte or glossy nude lip finishes, or just the pure lipstick look, it’s great for all occasions and seasons, but especially so if you’re off for dinner. (Red lipstick stains on wine glasses are such a pain according to the hospitality industry!) Also extremely complimentary for a smokey eyes makeup look, here is my simple method to creating the perfect nude lips finish, alongside these tutorials by Urban Decay
- Exfoliate your lips regularly, and apply lip balm at least 10 minutes before starting the nude lips look.
- Apply lip liner generously over the entire lips.
- If opting for a more striking look, use a slightly darker lip liner colour along the edges.
- Apply lipstick all over, smack lips together on clean tissue, and reapply.
- Reapply lip liner along the edges and blend with a lip brush.
- If creating a glossy finish, apply now and voila!
- 24/7 Glide-On Lip Liner, in 1993, Naked, Naked 2, Native, Stark Naked – €18
- Alice Through the Looking Glass Lipstick, in Alice – €19.50
Yves Saint Laurent
- Rouge Volupté Lipstick, in #1 Nude Beige & #7 Lingerie Pink – €22
- Rouge Volupté Shine Lipstick, in #13 Pink in Paris & #15 Coral Intuitive – €33
- Volupté Tint-in-Oil Lip Gloss, in #2 Turn Me Gold & #3 Undress Me (if creating glossy finish) – €27
- Top Secrets Lip Perfector – €34
- Color Riche Collection Privée Exclusive Nudes, in Jennifer Lopez & Julianne Moore – €10.50
- L’Extraordinaire Liquid Lipstick by Color Riche, in #600 & #601 Beige – €13.50
- Lipstick, in Velvet Teddy, Myth or Honey Love – €20
- Lip Pencil, in Boldly Bare – €17.50
- Cremesheen Lip Glass, in Deelight & Partial to Pink – €22
- Wet n Wild: MegaLast Lip Color in E902C Bare It All, E913C Sand Storm & E903C Just Peachy – €2.99; MegaSlicks Balm Stain in E1641 Caffeine Fix – €3.99
- No7: Stay Perfect Lipstick in Pink Blush, Blushing Tulip, Cinnamon Spice & Chinchilla – €14
- Kiehl’s: Lip Balm #1 in Mint – €11.50