So, the beauty & love gods have come together, because on July 6th it’s National Kissing Day! So to help you get puckered up and poutfully ready, here are Killer Fashion’s favourite lip treatments & beauty picks, as well as a guide to keeping your lips smooth and flake-free for the big kiss. But don’t fret if you’re still a beautifully single lady (holla!), because who says National Kissing Day is about kissing your boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife/partner? No, it’s just about sharing the love with your lips, so that can include chocolate cake, your puppy or your mam & dad (on the cheek alrighty!) And if you’re not gonna do any kissing at all, well at least you can look great doing so. Enjoy it all!
First things first; you gotta exfoliate and take care of your lips on a regular basis ahead of July 6th, and any other special dates coming up. If you regularly exfoliate, this helps replaces old cells with new cells on your lips, which is a great way to keep your them soft, subtle and very kissable. Keep your lips soft post-exfoliation with a good lip balm (below) or even a tiny bit of moisturizer. To exfoliate you can either very simply use a soft toothbrush and brush your lips gently in circular motions, or you can use a lip scrub. Take a look at my good friend Filomena of Enhance What’s Yours on creating your own lip scrub.
What you need:
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 2-3 tbsp Sugar
- A clean bowl and spoon
- Damp face towel
- Empty jar (optional)
- Put the Olive oil, honey and sugar into a bowl.
- Mix the ingredients until you get a pasty mixture as pictured below
- Using your index finger rub some of the mixture onto your lips for about 30 seconds.
- You should already feel a difference at this stage!
- Using your towel, wipe your lips and repeat the process this time rubbing it for a lot longer (1 -2 mins)
- Again, use your towel to remove the lip scrub and voila!
- If you’re a bit of a hoarder, you could put the rest of the lip scrub into an empty jar but make sure you get the full use of it, if not, it will only get hard and go to waste.
“How To Make a Lips Scrub” – Enhance What’s Yours
Lip balms are an important product to have in your beauty regime. These balms have a hint of colour in them if you prefer to go light on your lips, while still caring for them with moisturizing elements and protection.
A girl can never go wrong with classic red lipstick. But when in doubt, opt for pinks or purples or go subtle in nude shades. There are so many options out there at affordable prices, though sometimes it’s nice to just spoil yourself with a designer lip.
Gloss is sometimes underrated, because it is thought as sticky. But these days lip gloss is exactly that; glossy. There are many textures within the lip gloss range, from wet to sticky and different finishes from matte to shimmery. Take your pick and pucker up!