So we’re into Week 3 now of Samantha of All The Buzz’s beauty challenge, and this will be a typical girly Killer Fashion post, all about my favourite makeup products, and those I just cannot live without. I hope my lovely readers have been enjoying my first two posts, along with the tips; it seems they’re handy so I’ll have to keep at it and continue on with this week’s theme. Here is what I use on an-almost daily basis (I don’t wear makeup every day!), that I recommend you try out too.
Make Up Must Haves
- Yves Saint Laurent ‘Volume Effet Faux Cils Shocking’ Mascara in Pure Black: I’ve been using this luxurious YSL mascara for two years now, and it still is my favourite. The great aspects to this particular one is that its advanced formula helps thicken the coating of mascara on the lashes without clumping, and leaves you with a more wide-eyed look that’s natural looking too. I have tried many mascaras before, including YSL’s original Faux Cils, but none have compared to this one.
- Yves Saint Laurent ‘Touché Éclat’ (2.5): Keeping with YSL, I use and love their legendary highlighter. It creates instant light, luminosity and radiance, and helps hide dark circles around the eye area, and doubles up as a great cover-up for small blemishes. I always use my Touché Éclat over my Forever Youth Liberator Eye Cream, (which I mentioned in Week 1).
- Yves Saint Laurent ‘Le Teint Touche Éclat Foundation’ (BD50): I don’t use foundation often, but when I do it’s this super light YSL foundation. You only need a pea amount of this for full coverage, because it’s so easy to spread and blends perfectly, and it doesn’t make my make up look ‘cakey’. It’s a really good base for all skin tones, as there are many different shades, all which use SPF19 broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection in the formula. Ask your local YSL representative which shade suits you best for the best results. I’ve also had this one bottle for 2 years now, so I highly recommend this foundation; the price is worth it.
- Christian Dior ‘Addict Lip Glow’ in Rose: Now originally I had name Crème de Rose as my lip balm saviour, however I’m sad to announce that Dior have discontinued that product! That said, their Addict Lip Glow is a perfect replacement, with its similar formula and smoothing texture, this is a color reviver balm that enhances my natural lip color. This means I can just wear the balm and have pink lips without extra products. I do recommend buying it, as it’s already repaired my dry lips within a week of using it!
- Lancôme ‘L’Absolu Rouge’ in #150 Rouge Odyssée, Revlon Colorburst Lipstick in #30 Fuchsia, MAC ‘2012 Viva Glam Lipstick’ in Nicki Minaj: I love bold lipstick, and these are my current top three lippies that I use on a weekly basis. The Lancôme & Revlon lipsticks both have great pigmentation and moisturizing qualities, and their colour lasts for hours on end. The MAC Viva Glam lipstick is very special to me, because it means I helped families affected by HIV and AIDS by buying and essentially donating to the MAC AIDS Fund. The lipstick itself is gorgeous, and a paler pink on me looks surprisingly good! It also has moisturizing elements, though I recommend to use a lip balm beforehand, as its matte texture can dry out.
- Yves Saint Laurent ‘Golden Gloss’ in Polar Pink: This lip gloss was a 2012 Christmas special, and I love it. It’s contains 0.2% of 24 carats gold, giving its shimmery effect and has a slight pink hue too. I love the texture, its glossy and wet, witout being a sticky lip gloss and has a slight melon-like scent. It’s just so yummy! It look great alone over lip balm and is a great addition to coloured lipsticks.
- MAC ‘Veluxe Pearl’ Eye Shadow in Woodwinked: I adore this product, it’s my staple and go-to eye shadow. I’ve yet to master smokey eyes and even knowing which colours suit me best, so that’s why I love this bronze-gold shade so much. I know it suits me, and also all other skin tones, and is so easy to apply. It’s a highly-pigmented powder with shimmer througout, and I’ve had this for 4½ years now (ever since my Debs!), and it’s still going strong. In fact there’s SO MUCH left in the little pot. Use a clean eye shadow brush or applicator to blend.
- GOSH ‘Kohl Eye Liner in Black: A simple staple for every girl (and guy’s) makeup bag, this is my favourite eye liner. I discovered GOSH way back in 2006; in fact I discovered them in their home country of Denmark and have been addicted ever since. It’s one of the only eyeliners that actually stays on for hours without having to reapply and has a great creamy texture to it. It is a very black kohl eyeliner, which you could double up as a smokey blend if you know how.
All products (except GOSH Eye Liner) are available to buy in store in Brown Thomas, Arnotts, Debenhams & Clerys. GOSH Eye Liner is available to buy in leading pharmacies & Boots.
My few tips for makeup regimes:
- Mascara – keep your favourite mascaras in a warm-to-room temperature setting to ensure the mascara doesn’t dry out. If it has dried out slightly, leave it in a half-filled cup of hot (not boiling) water for about an hour, ensuring you’ve sealed it tight.
- Highlighters – to help spread and use your highlighter to its fullest, apply a tiny bit of moisturizer over the area you wish to apply your highlighter. This also helps prevent the product from drying upon application.
- Makeup wipes & removers: use good quality removers that suit your skin type, everyday after wearing makeup. Always wash your face afterwards to remove excess dirt and use a soft, dry face cloth to damp dry.