When River Island first announced in August 2012 that they would be teaming up with Rihanna, the #1 pop princess and Grammy-winning music sensation, to create a unique fashion line, it was quite the hype-creating shock. Six weeks after the launch of Rihanna For River Island, the collaboration fashion line is still going strong. And the public loves it! Online the collection has already sold out some of the (clearly) loved pieces, so only some River Island stores still stock them.
Watch the full unveiling of the collection here.
Rihanna said that she wanted to “design the perfect thing for me, for the fans…designing for young women [with] sassy personality…the collection has different meanings and attitudes. The collection is casual, chic, flirty. I want it to be for all body types, I want all kinds of girls to wear this and feel comfortable in it, but still feel edgy.” And Rihanna For River Island really is all that. The collection features thigh-high split cuts, side knots, crop tops, military-style boots, monochrome and neon colours and the all-important Rihanna swag. It’s all very “come here rude boy, boy, boy”.. Here are my favourite pieces from the collection:
- Black and White Rihanna Painted Stripe Shirt – a new hi-lo top and very fashion-forward shirt, ‘painted’ in black and white stripes, it features a longer back that finishes in a twisted knot, complete with cuffs and top-button fastenings. Wear with skinny jeans and heels or Lita boots.
- Black Rihanna Sheer Overall Maxi Dress – mixing styles together in one piece, this maxi dress is a combination of utilitarian-meets-grunge. The overalls top-half feature twisted knot closings and the skirt lower-half features three different types of sheer paneling. Wear with clean tshirts, shorts and Cons or your favourite boots.
- Mid Wash Rihanna Denim Dungaree Crop Top & Dark Wash Rihanna Double Top Straight Jeans – bringing old school denim back with this cropped dungaree top and perfectly teamed with the double top jeans. Rihanna brings an element of hood with this denim duo, offering a comfortable alternative to dresses and skirts.
- Yellow Rihanna Slash Back Sleeveless Dress – it does exactly what it says on the label, and then some. This neon yellow lightweight knit dress is the perfect summer wardrobe dress, especially in dull Irish weather. Its flattering slim fit in a neon yellow hue features an open slash and tied knot finish back and can be easily teamed for day and night.
- Black Rihanna Thigh Split Cami Maxi Dress – the perfect LBD (long black dress) by Rihanna For River Island. Another flattering slim fit shaped dress but with a sexy thigh-high split for the ever-daring leg, a la Angelina. Complete with a deep scoop neckline and spaghetti cross straps. Bring on the summer!